Friday, July 15, 2016

Pre-review

I read Larry Millman's At the End of the World: A True Story of Murder in the Arctic, a few months ago, and was so impressed I immediately gave him him  a blurb. I didn't give it any more thought until checked today to see when it was coming out, and he told me they were using my quote in its promotion. I checked it out on Amazon, thought about it, and decided to use the quote to convince everyone to pre-buy it .

Larry has been lots of places, including to Pacific islands, but is best known for his arctic writing (Bruce Chatwin called him "Eskimo".) This book may be his best. The quote?

"Larry Millman’s At the End of the World is many things: a loving description of Inuit life; an account of the end of the world that has already happened; and a jeremiad against the computer, all told in a voice that is a cross between the dark aphorisms of E M Cioran and the timeless portraits in Chatwin’s The Songlines. In it you will learn that Thoreau is the only person in the afterlife without a computer, and see a carving of Donald Duck, with the detailed body of an Eider. Read it and weep for the Old Ways that we have lost.”

No comments: