Sunday, June 12, 2016

Party!

After a slightly exhausting week, the much - postponed party finally straggled in to Reid and Connie's country manse in Parker CO  on Saturday. Not every one could make it (Smokey Paul and Lynne met us at a Santa Fe highway exit to hand over a pistol for Carlos --  we still live in a free country where a poet can hand a handgun to a writer to pass to an ornithologist, and pass it through three states, all legally!)

I am not sure what the "Theme" of the party might have been-- probably NOT blogging, though it had brought some of us together. But only Reid, Arthur, and me met primarily that way. Andy Wilson has known Libby from Outward Bound days, 40 years and more. Many of the others were members of what Carlos  and the (absent ) Gerry Cox facetiously call the  "Sewing Circle", a bunch of writers, academics and artists fascinated with fine guns. Guy Boyd, who is holding the iconic Purdey, came down from Fort Collins; our first contact was through birds I think, as he flies a pursuit Gyr named Darwin, but I have also worked editing his yet unsold thriller ms. Chas Clifton blogs at Nature Blog, but we have known each other forever; he went to Reed College with Tom McIntyre, is a retired professor of English literature and comparative religion,  knew "Seasonal" writer Ed Engle (who once remarked after a hike in the San Mateos that we had seen a redtail catch a squirrel, but "if it had been twenty yeas ago, we might have seen Mescalito!", and, if memory serves me right, first read me in the rather odd venue of Chronicles, in a nature- themed issue put together by Chilton Williamson and his legendary damned Patagonian conures!

Themes were guns, books, ideas, and food, plus a standing desk of splendid oak for me (thanks to Laramie based novelist Brad Watson); horses (Akhal Tekes) and dogs (Aussies- ours had stayed home) and a little mostly Chihuahua named Rainbow. And GRILLED MEAT-- thanks especially to Carlos, and to Arthur for bringing lovely chile- flavored booze for a marinade.

And of course the Purdey, which is exquisite, not just the finest for its price but one of the finest hammer Purdeys I have ever handled. But, contrary to what everyone seems to think, despite my trade goods and its relatively good price, I do NOT have the full price yet. Perhaps, as the Nature Conservancy's Matt Miller suggests, I should swallow my pride, and try a little crowdfunding-- it looks like now or never... ideas, please!

This set all by Andy W:
Chas sights Broomie with Steve & Carlos in enthusiastic discussion behind


The younger set--Arthur and gunsmith Adam (not in this set, brother Oliver)

Novelist Brad Watson (check his new book on Amazon), Carlos, Steve



Reid with MEAT


We do love our food-- and guns ...

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the invite. I appreciated joining in on the food, fun and friendships.

Peculiar said...

Sorry to miss it! Any event with Reid hosting and Libby cooking is sure to be excellent!

Moro Rogers said...

Looks fun! (PS, I read FOOTPRINTS ON THE TOILET SEAT: MEMOIRS OF A FALCON DOCTOR at your recommendation...Mr. Remple must have the patience of a saint, I think I would have run out of there with smoke pouring out of my ears after a few hours.=p)

Chas S. Clifton said...

Good times!

Steve Bodio said...

Moro,I can remember the late Charles Schwartz, visiting Magdalena after 3 or 4 years as a breeding advisor in the gulf, randomly screaming NO MORE INSHALALLAH! as we rode around town. He got rich, but he never went back.

Chas S. Clifton said...

Does this pistol make me look fat?

Malcolm Brooks said...

Deep, deep regrets I couldn't make this one...but I'm thrilled so many other fine members of the club could!

Malcolm Brooks said...

Deep, deep regrets I couldn't make this one...but thrilled to see so many other fine members of the club in one place!