Monday, March 31, 2014

More Trilobites

Another museum stop in San Francisco was at The California Academy of Sciences, also located in Golden Gate Park. While there, I saw these wonderful trilobite fossils.

You might recall a post I did early in the month, that linked to a New York Times article on trilobites that had a rather amazing picture of a fossil from Morocco. I was pleased to see this specimen of Drotops armatus, also from Morocco. I boggled at how big it was - about the size of my hand. As we discussed in my earlier post, you have to wonder how they prepared it.

This is Phacops rana, from Ohio. It (and the specimen in the picture below) are more the size I had expected, maybe half again the size of a cockroach.

This is Reedops deckeri, specimen collected in Oklahoma.

No comments: