Thursday, March 15, 2007

Hawk and Dog Photo

Click for larger image...


A number of readers commented on this image of Rina (whippet) and Smash (Harris' hawk). It was taken earlier this year during a hunt in SE Louisiana. The photographer is Sid Seruntine, a friend of the landowner who graciously invited us to hunt his property.


In this picture, the hawk and dog have chased a bird about 35 yards and into cover, and are about to roust it from its hiding place. I can't remember if this one went down the hatch, but do recall that Rina and Smash both caught birds that day.


Over the course of this past season, these two forged a serious and deadly partnership, and something of a friendly competition too. Working together, we were able to hunt a great deal more effectively over marginal ground---something more essential every year in my dwindling stable of hawking spots.

3 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

Just want you to know that I set my eyes on a real Harris Hawk this past week. Sadly it was in a mall demonstration...but we were about four feet away from him. Fascinating creature. He looked like he was about to speak to us. They had a Red tailed Hawk and a great big owl too. That's the closest I've ever gotten to any of them.

Matt Mullenix said...

We'll make a falconer out of you yet!

Heidi the Hick said...

I don't think that would be too difficult!

(except that I spend all my spare change on horses!)